The Early Days
The Modern Era
Ray West Warehouses was founded in 1953 by Ray West, a developer in Corpus Christi, with one warehouse (what is now referred to as “the old Sears warehouse”). Ray took on a partner, Bob Garwood, in 1962, to build the building that is now our main facility, at 4801 Baldwin, Corpus Christi, Texas. Shortly after this they leased Ray’s original warehouse to Sears (hence its current name). Shortly after the new building opened, they prepared this 1964 marketing brochure.
In 1974, Ray West reorganized his company, bringing in Frank L. Wiggins, retired Sears executive
and fellow member of the First Methodist Church of Corpus Christi; Cecil Burney, respected local attorney and businessman; and the principal partners of the accounting firm of Fields & Nemec,
Kerven Fields and Fred Nemec. The company incorporated as Ray West Warehouses, Inc., with Ray West as Chairman and Frank Wiggins as President. After Ray West’s death in 1981, Cecil
Burney became Chairman, with Wiggins continuing as President. In 1988, longtime employee and Warehouse Manager Peter Anderson was promoted to President, the position he still holds. After
Cecil Burney’s death in 1990, Frank Wiggins became Chairman until his retirement in 1993, when
he was followed by Fred Nemec, who remains Chairman today. Frank Wiggins’ son, Robert, and Cecil Burney’s son, Frank, remain involved to this day as members of the Board of Directors,
maintaining the long and continuing family traditions of Ray West Warehouses, Inc.